Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Writing Tip Wednesday

Autumn is coming with a strong calling card this week. Brrr...The last of the summer flowers are withering from the frigid chill and the fierce winds blow the vibrantly colored leaves from their branches. 
     Now our thoughts start to turn to warm apple cider, soups and writing. 
     What? Really. 
     Yes. If you're stuck in the house, use the time to write. 
      What better way to spend a long, dark evening then sipping on tea and writing. 
     (Spending time with loved ones is vital too. So don't neglect them. Try some new things, like play chess, read a book aloud, or cook new recipes together.) 
    But back to writing...Remember WATT. Easy to say, much harder to accomplish.
     (Quick recap, WATT stands for Write All The Time). 
     A lovely way to practice your writing without worrying about spelling, grammar or expectations is to write in a diary or journal. 
     But instead of boring and drab entries about your morning oatmeal, unless of course something exciting happened while you were eating it, try a technique I call 'tidbits.' 
     Write small slices of your life as if it's a novel in a book. Describe your feelings, use all of your senses. Don't tell---Show it. 
     Even if it's only two or three lines of something funny or cute your child said. Or simply describing how the autumn walk through crunchy leaves with your own hero hottie was magical. 
     Your tidbit journal is a chance to have fun, strengthen your writing and maybe even record your life. 
     I'll share an example, but remember develop your own style. I usually write in the first person but you don't have to limit yourself to only one POV. Sometimes I'll write it from the person's point of view who was experiencing it. 
    Example: 'It had to be one of those days. You know, long and tiring and destined to be unforgettable, but not in a good way. I had only left the kitchen for a few minutes while I was making dinner when suddenly I smelled the awful odor of something burning. Oh, no, what had my fatigued brain done, I thought as I rushed back into the kitchen. 
       I expected burnt food, but to my horror I realized I had turned on the wrong burner. And instead of food cooking, it was my glass baking dish that was heating up. 
      Just as I moved closer to the stove, I heard the ominous sound of cracking glass. 
     Right before it exploded...'

     I could have wrote, 'I had a bad day. Put the glass baking dish on the burner and caused it to explode. Glass flew everywhere. Luckily, no one was hurt.' But that's not as colorful as the first entry. 

    Just remember, have fun with your tidbits. Happy writing and keep warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment