Monday, October 18, 2010

Monday Musings...

The wait...It's agonizing. Every time I check my email I hold my breath, wondering and hoping, fingers crossed in anticipation. 
On October 7th, I sent out ten queries to ten different agents regarding my young adult fantasy novel, Keraynn Healer of Carvada. It took most of the day to accomplish this deceptively simple task. First, I had to research which agencies and which agents were looking for a story in fantasy. I hoped I picked the right ones. Then I crafted a catchy query letter trying to draw attention to my characters and to hook the agents into my story. I avoided the boring details about me or how much my sister enjoyed the book. I introduced myself and basically went right into the story. 

Once I had this completed and edited, I edited again. Always, always read something more than once. I will read something five times and still miss a grammar mistake. You want it to be as perfect as possible. Make sure your spelling is correct and grammar is accurate. 

This is followed by addressing it personally to the agent you're seeking to reach. And make sure their name is spelled correctly. Take the time to write a professional, catchy and short query letter. From rumors on the internet I hear it helps reel in the attention of agents. So far, I have noticed I do at least receive rejection emails back, so it must help generate some attention. Actually I have received personal rejection letters from agents that were at least thinking about taking on my writing. This is a much better feeling than the worse rejection letter I ever received. This one was a form letter, with both spelling and grammar mistakes. It must have been written by an intern, never even making it to someone that could make real decisions. That was a downer. 

Since my agent quest began I have already received two emails back, regrettably informing me that the material wasn't right for their office. Do I feel disappointed? A bit. Do I keep trying? Absolutely. 
In the mean time. I start on my next project because a writer has to write. And no query letter, rejection email, or agents that don't understand what they're missing are going to stop me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment