Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Monday Musings...

Balance...


       How much do we allow our lives to be unbalanced? How much control do we even have? There are many wise and wonderful people who speak of balance and finding that state. Just Google 'finding balance and quotes.' You will be given almost 300,000 answers to choose your favorite quote from. So with the internet at your fingertips I won't spend the entire blog entry giving you quotes except for one. 
          John Mellencamp's song, 'Between a Laugh and a Tear,' I know there's a Balance, I see it when I swing past.
          Seriously, when I'm stressed and overwhelmed, I hear this lyric in my head and I have this image of me hugging a huge pendulum, swinging back and forth in the vastness of a blue sky. Sometimes I'm quite stressed in the image, squeezing the gold pendulum with all my might and other times I'm shouting into the empty, trying to find my sanity. 
          We are all busy people. Mothers, fathers, daughters, sons, friends, lovers...people. Our lives move so quickly, darting away from us before we can catch up to the moment. We struggle to make a living, feed the children, walk the dog, clean the house, send a birthday card, make a phone call. Our thoughts are whirlwinds, like hurricanes in our head of past memories, lost loves, and future hopes. Yet, we forget to balance. We forget to stay in the moment. 
          Balance. It's finding your breath in the stillness and wonder of your child's first step, their toothy grins, and giggles over new crushes. It's forcing the worries and stresses from our minds for just an hour so we focus completely on being with the one we chose to go through this crazy life together. 
       It's choosing to write either a blog entry or teach your child something special. 
       Balance isn't easy to find. It's elusive, slipping through our fingers with each tick of the clock. We lose it under the pile of bills and the loads of laundry. But it's important. 
       Without balance you lose time with your children or your friends. You don't have time to accomplish your dreams. You eat way too much ice cream. 
       Next time your balance is swinging like a taunt in front of you, close your eyes, breathe slowly through the nose and out through the mouth, and then reach out and grab the ornery thing. 
       Balance is up to you. So breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment