Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Monday Musings...

        I have some experience with the publishing world. I was raised around writing and books. It's in my blood. Or at least in the genes. I have worked for a small publisher before, watching them acquire manuscripts, edit, edit, and edit the material some more. Check references and facts. (It was non fiction.) And arrange to have the artist paint the cover. It's a process and the office was always stacked with papers, books, manuscripts, letters, and post it notes. Computers faced the windows and when the editor grew tired of reading, she would look out onto the valley before her.
      I love being there, surrounded by words. 
      Which reminds me of a question that hero hottie asked me the other day. We were driving, just doing mundane stuff, the sort of stuff hero hotties have to do outside the realm of romance novels when he asked me if I liked the way words looked. I was a bit surprised by the question, just because I had never given it a lot of thought and certainty hadn't talked to anyone about it, but yeah, I love the way letters look. I like their shapes and I like how when you put certain letters together you get wonderful patterns of shapes. It's visually pleasing. I love how when I write and read, the words sound in my head, making pictures and stories and feelings. Words are amazing. 
      How awesome is it that we can do a little scribble on the paper (or digital scribble with different fonts) and we create ideas and stories and happiness? What else is so simple yet so intense. Wouldn't our world be boring and monochrome if we didn't have the written word? It would sure make blogging difficult. And how would people text? 
     Once we learn how to read, I think we take it for granted but it is a precious gift. One that everyone should receive. And readers are great for writers. It's a symbolic relationship, you can't have one without the other. 
      And now if I could just achieve my dream of getting published. It would be the coolest. But rejection hits me square in the emotions again and I have to focus on why I like to write. And it's not to please an agent that has vastly different views on life than I do. I write for me. And hopefully to inspire a reader. I just have to find an agent that shares similar views. 
      Keep writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment