Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Writing Tip Wednesday

      How long do I work on a story? Well, it depends on the story. Some stories come together like a snowball rolling down a hill. Fast and furious. And other stories take years, slowly being built.
     My stories start with a little, tiny idea. My Keraynn story started a long time ago as a one page scene that caught in my imagination. I liked the scene and the two characters I formed in it so much that I wrote a 65,000 word manuscript around that one idea. I was thrilled until I read it. And then I realized that except for the very basic concept of the story, my characters and Keraynn's abilities, the rest of the book was not so great. I still have that manuscript and it stays in the drawer. I should throw it out, because I shudder to think of anyone reading it. But it was my first attempt of crafting a novel, it has too much sentimental value. 
      And that brings me to my writing tip for this autumn Wednesday. The first time you pen your story, unless you're incredibly lucky, you will be rewriting it. It can be painful if you get too attached to a scene but it can be wonderful too. It's liberating. Because if you know that it doesn't have to be perfect the first time you write your story then you can focus on what is important...The creative process. 
     The first draft is your chance to develop your characters, figure out your plot and realize where you can fit in subplots and to explore the full depths of your story. Heck, a lot of time I discover 'facts' about my characters as I write my novel, which I know sounds crazy. But sometimes you don't think of something until after you have written it and then you experience an 'ah-ha' moment. I like to plan plot and story before I start writing but some details don't emerge until you're writing. 
      Once you have that completed first draft, then let it rest for two weeks. Don't worry about it, don't look at it, and don't think about it. You're shooting for some emotional distance from your writing. Then pull it out and reread it. 
      Don't panic. Maybe it's not as great as you thought it was but that's alright. Because now you're going to start rewriting it. You're going to find holes in the plot that need filled, you're going to find scenes that need shortened. Reading carefully, you're going to check for roving POVs.
     And you're not going to throw in the towel because it's not great the first time. That was just rehearsal. (With a heavy sigh) Sometimes it takes a few rehearsals but it's worth it. 
      So keep writing and keep rewriting. Because your story can be great, it just needs some polishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment