Monday, February 27, 2012

The Shocking OMG Surprise

    The date is January 26, 2012. The big girls are at school and the little girls are coming in late. Hero Hottie actually has the day off which should be enough to put me in a pretty good mood except for a small, nagging feeling about something that won't go away. In fact, the feeling has grown stronger in the last forty eight hours.
     Really strong. I try to ignore it. I try to convince myself I'm imagining things, I've had too much stress lately or that I've been watching too many Health Discovery shows. You know the ones; I'm Pregnant and I didn't know it. Okay. I believe those women. (Mild Sarcasm)
     But I can't ignore facts. That would be misusing all the great detective skills I learned from watching hours of Scooby Doo. And if Velma was on the case she would have all the clues wrapped up even before the fake monster showed up.
     "First, it was pretty obvious when your period was three weeks late, wouldn't you agree Mrs. Hammond?"
      "Rikes?" I mutter uncomfortably.
       "And then we can't ignore the other clues. The fatigue, the vomiting, the hormones, the sore breast." She pins me down with her nerdy gaze. I swallow and watch Scooby Doo eat the entire contents of my fridge. Hey, my kids do that.
       "Well, we all know who the culprit is." Fred jumps in, just to say something but we all know he really doesn't know anything. Velma rolls her eyes. Why does she put up with him? Just so she has someone to drive the Mystery Van?
        "The real culprit is Hero Hottie." He announces loudly.
        I laugh. "Yes. Yes it is."

     Case solved. But I'm still in denial. I decide I'm going to wait a few more weeks before taking a pregnancy test. If I don't have a positive test, then I really can't be pregnant. Right? For being a logical person, I'm sure twisting things around to fit my state of disillusion.
     And this would have worked except I'm been married to Hero Hottie for over thirteen years and we have two children. He knows me.
     "Are you pregnant?" he asks quietly in the first quiet morning we have had in ages. So much for a peaceful and kid free morning.
     "Ummm, I...why do you ask?" I stammer and stutter.
     The dry look he gives me says it all.
     I sigh. "I might be. I wasn't going to test yet. Because I might not be." I'm not in the mood to talk about this. We weren't planning on any more children. Bean and Abu are growing up. They're not small kids anymore. I can sleep in on Saturdays. Heck, I can sleep all night now. A baby was not on my list of goals this year.

     A couple of hours later after our day had started he returns to the house, holding a pregnancy test in his hand.
    His friend's wife had an extra one left over from a recent pregnancy scare. She was so kindly giving it to me. Thanks. I should be more grateful, it saves me money but I know what it's going to say and I just don't want to know.
    "Go take it." He tosses it to me.
    "I don't want to. Besides you're supposed to wait until the first morning pee." Of course, I'm probably far enough long to show hormones no matter what time of day.
    "Please." He says and I realize he needs to know so he can start doing the guy thing. Making plans on how to handle it.
    "Fine." I hand him the smallest niece, who is one, and stalk off to the bathroom.
    I pee on the stick. And I'm supposed to wait three minutes for the results.
    Within a few seconds it's clearly positive.
    Damn.
    And then I wait. I have a few minutes to collect my sanity. Because I don't want to go out into the living room and tell Hero Hottie that all those plans we were dreaming about in ten years when the girls were off to college had to change.
    We were going to be new parents again. Two a.m. feedings, a baby on the hip, huge bags of baby items just to go to the store. Burpings and diapers. Teething and fussing.
    I was in shock. This was totally and completely unexpected. We weren't planning on a new addition to the household.
   But the pregnancy test said differently.
   I slowly left the bathroom and Hero Hottie just knew by the look on my face that we were expecting.
    And much to my surprise he was great about it. Excited. Positive.
    I was the one wanting to pretend I wasn't pregnant.
   "Why are you having such a hard time dealing with this?" He asks, worried.  "You love babies."
   
  I do love babies. But I was also starting to work on a career now that Bean and Abu are growing up and don't need me quite as much. (Except maybe this week with all the bullying issues.)
   That weekend I took another pregnancy test and it told the same tale.
   It took days for me to even mention it to anyone else and as you can see from the date, weeks on my blog. I had to adjust to the idea of a new baby. It took me by such a surprise, when my plans were not including a baby, that I just needed time to make new plans.
    Until we learn the sex, we are naming this baby, Surprise. Or as the girls like to call the baby, Special Edition Hammond.
     In the meantime I'm getting used to the fact that unexpected guests in the form of babies are very special guests indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment