Friday, January 27, 2012

It's a Small Price to Pay for Sleeping in Sunshine

    For years I have been opposing Hero Hottie's constant suggestions to purchase a heating blanket. I had heard too many stories of fires being caused by old and worn blankets and it just made me too nervous.
  On top of that; my frugal natural kept insisting that if we have heat pumping from the vents and we have thick quilts, why do we need to purchase something that seems like a luxury item to me?
   Also, a heating blanket needs to be plugged in. To an outlet. Which somehow has a direct line to our check accounting.
    Now, in my defense, I swear I did not realize just how cold Hero Hottie was getting at night. I didn't. Cross my heart. So you can't think I'm just a big, mean ogre.
   We live in a house that was built before they realized that insulation should always be added so that your walls aren't as cold as the temperature outside. But still; I seriously thought we weren't that cold at night.

   "We need a heating blanket." Hero Hottie said. I had heard this statement many times before. Not just every year before this winter but about every week for the past three months.
    I rolled my eyes. "I'll put more blankets on the bed."
   "You would like a heating blanket." He tried tempting me.
   I shook my head and put even more blankets on the bed. That night I cranked up the heat.
  
   The next evening....
   "We need a heating blanket."
    "We don't. I know we don't."
    "Have you ever tried one? They're pretty nice. You would be warm at night." He was using his tempting voice. The 'I Dare You because You're just being Stubborn' voice. How many things had I agreed to something because he used that voice? Too many. None I regretted but you never tell someone that. ;)
 
     "I'm warm...enough." I said, thinking silently to myself of the night before when I woke up at three and I was freezing. Damn, that wall does feels like an ice cube at night.
     "Did you feel that wall last night? It's like sleeping in an igloo."
     "I don't know. We really don't need one, do we?" How much do heating blankets cost anyway?
     "I'll just sleep in my clothes." He starts to put his jeans back on and another sweatshirt.
    "Really? You're that cold?" I was losing this argument. I could feel it. It was slipping away and if I stuck to my stubbornness than I would definitely be the bad guy.
    He just gave me a look. 
    "Fine. Go see how much they are." I surrendered.

    "They're eighty bucks. It's Queen size and the good one is at Target." He tells me. I swallowed, but I knew my frugal side would protest.
     "Eighty bucks?! For a heating blanket?"
    "But you would be warm. They're so nice."
    "Alright. Lets use the Target gift card from Christmas."  I give in.
    He grins.
    "I was just going to buy towels with it anyway."
    His look is crestfallen. "Do you want to buy towels instead?"
    "No, lets buy a heating blanket." And we leave right then and there before I can change my mind.

   When we get home he happily sets up the heating blanket on our bed, explaining that each side has its own temperature control, so I can adjust my side to what I want. He tells me again that I'm going to love it.
   I'm not convinced but he's overjoyed with our new purchase. And who needs new towels anyway? Just because our towels are starting to look like Swiss cheese.

   He can't keep the grin off his face when he jumps into bed that night and buries himself under the heating blanket. I roll my eyes.
   "You're going to like it." He promises as I slide into my side. The warmth is instant, surrounding me from chin to toes. I nearly moan with the sheer delight of it.
    Why did I protest so long? And why didn't I realize just how cold our uninsulated house really gets? I feel lazy and relaxed under the heating blanket, almost like lying in the sun on the beach. Mmm, this is nice.
   "You like it." He says with a smug grin. Apparently my expression has given me away.
   "Maybe."  I didn't want to concede too much; I would never hear the end of it.
   "See you don't trust me. I've been saying we should buy a heating blanket since we were married and you wouldn't listen to me. But boy, now we realize we like it." He is definitely gloating just a bit about it.
    "Am I going to have to listen to this forever?" Boy, this warmth is nice. Why did I protest so long? I'm forgetting my reasons.
    "Yes. I knew you would like a heating blanket. Aren't they nice?" He's rubbing it in. I'm never going to hear the end of this.
    I pull the blanket over my head. "Yes, they're nice. Now leave me alone. I'm enjoying the blanket."
    He laughs.


No comments:

Post a Comment