Thursday, December 15, 2011

Day Twelve- Always There

  Years ago I wrote a bit of faith on a scrap of paper, never quite sure what to do with it. It wasn't about me or anyone I knew but it spoke to me. I will share it with you today.


   Always There
by Christy Hammond
    
She sat on the church pew wondering why she was there, when a man passed and she dropped her head in prayer.
            “Where are you, when I need you so? Look what has happened, you have abandoned me here, am I to give birth with no one that cares?”
            She wept on the wood, silent tears of grief, when the same man who had passed came and stood by her bare feet.
            He didn’t say a word, and she wished him to leave, hiding her dirty toes underneath the seat. She kept her head bowed, her hands clasped together, and still he did not moved but continued to linger.
            “Go away,” she muttered, finally at last, her soiled fingers fanning across her swollen belly.
            The silence grew long, and the man did not shuffle, and finally she could not keep her head down any longer. She raised it up, and gasped.
            “You asked me here, so don’t send me away. I thought you needed me, but even if you don’t, I will still stay.” The man spoke gently, holding out a hand.
            She felt ashamed, her hands all dirty, but he did not care as he held them firmly. He helped her from her seat, her body heavy with the tiny person she had made.
            “I will be there, please do not worry. I will be there for you and your baby.” The man walked her to the door, that lead out of the chapel, and waited while she looked at the rest of the hospital.
            She looked at him with fearful eyes, and then wondered why she had doubted. Of course, he would be there at her side. Waiting with her, for her new arrival. She clutched her belly, with the wave of pain and knew she needed to find a doctor.
            “It will be alright, go now, your child awaits.” The man leaned forward, and kissed her head, not caring of the dirt, and oil, and smell that clung to her skin.
            She stepped and turned away, knowing that he was going to be there, with her, through the whole thing.
            And after her baby was born, and slept so soundly. She slipped to the chapel, with her sore body. Her mind was tired, she could hardly think, but she whispered some prayers, and gave him thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment