Friday, December 2, 2011

Day Two- The Blessing of Music




"Ah, ha, ha, ha- staying alive, staying alive. Ah, ha, ha, ha- STAYING ALIVE"

Disco music. You have to love it. (grin)
Wait. What?
You don't?

    I don't blame you. It's not my favorite either but disco music and I have a strange relationship; one that started in the womb.
    See, I don't like disco music. You won't find disco on my iPod and I won't be downloading it from iTunes any time soon.
    As far as the Bee Gee's song, "Staying Alive' goes, I know two words to the lyrics. Are there more?
    Disco balls -spinning round and round- while people who decided they wouldn't be a hippie, thought wearing polyester suits were the ultimate outfit to being groovy.
     They were sadly mistaken, probably lead astray by bad disco music.
     But I digress.

    Disco music and I go way back. Apparently, while my Mom was pregnant she went and saw 'Saturday Night Fever.' There by subjecting me to a whole movie of disco music. The horror. It was torture. I was forced to endure the sounds of disco and John Travolta.
    And I was never the same.
    After that, when ever the fast beat, whirlwind rhythm of disco would venture across the air waves, (which thank goodness grew less and less as one hit wonders took over the radio)- I would start dancing.
   The boogie fever would not...
   Could not be stopped.

   It's like the Pied Piper playing his flute, the sweet sound beacons and I must answer the call.
   And then I'm a disco fool, dancing the hustle, the sprinkler, and whatever all those other crazy moves are called. My children know them. I should be able to teach them break dancing and eighties dance moves, not disco. Urghh.
   I must have been brainwashed in the womb.
   A child born in the seventies, cursed by John Travolta. So I don't like disco music but I'm irresistibly drawn to the beat every time I hear it. :) (small confession, I do like one song. "Walking on Sunshine.")
    How is disco music a blessing? I'm not sure it is. (GRIN and completely kidding.) Roller skating rinks wouldn't have been so popular without it.

   Music is a blessing. And by my parents exposing me early and often to different expressions of this soul stirring sound, I have found that our journey of faith is not only uplifted by music...But measured by the songs we keep in our heart.
   The songs that we combine with our memories so that sometimes all it takes is a few notes of a gently cherished melody to remind us of our love. Of our faith.

   Such a blessing of music, starts in infancy with lullabies; sometimes hummed; sometimes sung softly. The lyrics not always correct and the voice not always perfect but with love...
   knowing we are loved because the music is expressed with LOVE.
   We are forgiving as children if our parents' voice doesn't sound good. We don't care because we are listening to the emotions and those are far more powerful than a perfect octave range. (Although a song sung with love in a beautiful singing voice is a work of art. I'm just thankful that as small children my Bean and Abu were more interesed in being sung to, rather than my scratchy voice.)
    We sing to our babies, with tales of itsy bitsy spiders and pat a cake. Our children learn songs of hope, peace, and reindeers for Christmas concerts.
   And as teenagers we crank it up while driving and let our wildly, crazy, and certainty not sane hormones sing along with music by singers that clearly understand us better than our own parents.

   At weddings, funerals, and special celebrations do we not have some kind of music even if it's only from some one's CD player?
   We honor these events with music that is specially chosen for it's expression.
   Hero hottie and I had the most difficult time choosing a song for our wedding. We liked so many types of music and so many different songs but we couldn't find one that expressed the way we felt.
   Which was love, hopefully happily ever after.
    So we picked a song; sweet and innocent. It was perfect for the time and when life is too gritty or rough I play that song to bring me back to a less complicated time.

    Music surrounds us and if we would journey quietly into nature with hushed reverence and without gadgets stuck in our ears we would find that contrary to the beliefs of humans, who have this mistaken idea that we have created everything first; we will find that music was already apart of nature long before we drummed our fingers with impatience.
 
Music- 
    It's in the wind blowing and rustling.
   It's in the songs of birds and the buzzes of bees and the movement of trees.
   And without this natural rhythm we would live in a world of staccato busyness, artificial and forced, losing the words to an ancient song.
   In this ancient song that we were given, melodies like the beat of our heart, the soft even breathing of a newborn, the chorus of crickets greeting the dusk, we are blessed.
   I have to conclude that our journey of faith is not supposed to be a silent one.
   But one filled with music.

No comments:

Post a Comment