Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Identity Crisis...for my iPod?

     It's the existential question. Who am I? What is the meaning of life? Why am I here? Such deep and thoughtful questions, pondered by everyone at some point in their life.
    Sometimes a few times a day depending on what your job you're in.

    But I digress. Because this blog isn't about me. It's about my iPod.

   For you see, my iPod is having a major meltdown. A complete breakdown. An identity crisis of the extreme sort.

   It thinks it's a digital camera.

   Not a beloved electronic device of all my music. Not the bringer of the beat and rhythms of the soul.

  No, it has to believe it's a digital camera.

 And it's telling my PC this revelation. So, now it has my PC believing it's a digital camera and not a device of music.

  I didn't know my PC was so gullible. So prone to falling for anything some little electronic device decided to tell it. How disappointing. It must have been the flashy silver cover distracting it.

  I'm not sure when my iPod contemplated the meaning of the universe and decided it was so much more than a storage device. When it decided that it's grainy and not so great resolution photos qualified it as a camera but apparently it did and there's no convincing it otherwise.

  I plug the iPod into my computer, where it's supposed to sync my music up. But instead it erased most of my songs, leaving just the ones I had downloaded straight from iTunes. I'm missing 1400 songs--only some of my favorites---nothing frustrating there.

  But to top it off, when I plugged it in a second time to try to figure out what was going on, it loaded all my music from iTunes a second time onto itself. So now, my songs are on there twice. I can listen to all my music...twice...without hitting the repeat button. How clever of it to do that.

  So now it doesn't know what it wants to be. It's telling the computer it's a digital camera, there are no songs available if I try to access the device through my PC. But if I listen to my music, it's so nice to me and gives me everything in doubles.

   I just want it to go back to the way things use to be. Where I downloaded music onto my iPod and it stayed. Where I would synced it up with my computer and it would be pleasant and cooperate, not try to be something it's not. And it wouldn't try to think on it's own and tell me I need to listen to my songs twice in a row.
   Oh, how I miss those carefree and easy days when my iPod was just an iPod and it wasn't having an identity crisis.
    So if my computer guru is having trouble fixing my iPod, does that mean I need to take it to a psychologist? Perhaps it's childhood issues from when it was just a little Nano?
   Or perhaps my iPod has turned into a teenager. Which means I should just give up now, because a teenager is never wrong and knows everything. 
   Does Apple have a help line for iPod's and their identity crisis?
 
   Or is this a case, and here's my inner geek showing, Number 5 is ALIVE?
 
    Perhaps records were so much easier after all. :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment