Friday, February 27, 2015

Ode to The Dress, the Internet and DC Toy Collector

Or Why I'm going to Start a youtube about wrapping 

Toys Back Up in Their Boxes





 

Yeah.  The big debate. Is it blue and black? Is it white and gold? Why the hell am I even writing about this?? 

What is wrong with me? 

What is wrong with people? 

Never has there been a time in known, recorded history that the entire world could communicate one-on-one with each other in real, actual time. No pony express. No long trips over the ocean. No pigeons delivering messages on their legs. No fire signals. No morse code. No message in a bottle.

Nope, real time. Instant.

And what do we discuss?

The perceived color of an ugly ass dress. 

But atlas, we have more important things to discuss...

like why and how the hell did DC Toy Collector from youtube make $4.9 million dollars last year unwrapping toys! 

Seriously. Have you watched? 

Umm, well... I have, because I have a confession to make...

Baby Blueberry LOVES her. She loves to watch the pretty fingernails unwrap the toys and play with the toys. 

And at first I thought it was weird that I was allowing my baby to watch some grown woman play with toys on the Internet. (Like really, what am I teaching her?) 

But then I realized that this woman was teaching Baby Blueberry her colors. Because as DC Toy Collector plays with the play-dough and makes the creations, she names the colors. 

And pretty soon, Baby Blueberry is saying the colors out loud along with the mysterious millionaire with the ever-changing fingernails. I'm sure she has them done in a salon- she has the money for it. 

And so this week, we find out that some of the highest paid channels on the Internet are of people unwrapping toys...and playing with them.

Mmmm...now, what does that say about us as a society? But who am I to say anything...because when Baby Blueberry is really fussy and demanding and I'm trying to cook dinner...I let her watch someone else play with toys on the Internet. 

Oh, and one of the other highest paid channels on youtube....stampylonghead  ----which for a while Abu couldn't get enough of. Damn you Minecraft and your league of minions. Now I know how to mine diamonds and avoid creepers. 

I also watched the episode where stampy met Amy- sorry, I can't recall her gamer name. It was a touching video. 

Of course, you have to be proud of stampy- with the money he made- he's definitely not living in his parents' basement- which I always wondered. 

And just to be fair--I'm not putting any youtube channel host down. I'm actually pretty jealous of them. Making that kind of money with their creativity and fearlessness to be different. 

In fact, I think I should start a youtube channel. Bean thinks I should make a channel titled, "crazy middle-aged woman does stupid shit" - So like all teenagers she doesn't mind the parents humiliating themselves- she just rather we filmed it and got rich off it. 

I was leaning towards the channel where I do my nails and wrap toys back up into their packaging. Cool idea, huh? 

But I distract you from what's important...what's the color this puppy?



No comments:

Post a Comment