Thursday, December 6, 2012

These are a Few of my Favorite Words


     Some years back, when Abu was five, we were walking past one of those lotion and soap stores. The bottles of very aromatic (or stinky, depending on your nose) lotions were lined up on the shelves and a sample bottle of each one was within easy reach of small children. 
     The bottles were in a wide array of colors, and caught the attention of Bean and Abu. So we went inside. 
     And, of course, had to try the lotions. Bean being slightly older and of a slightly more cautious nature, only tried a couple of lotions but Abu, with the happy way she has of enjoying life, decided to try as many as possible on her legs.
      It was quite the smell.
      “Smell me, Mommy.” She offers, holding up her leg.
      I smelled it appreciatively and told her that her leg smelled nice.
     “I smell like a rainbow.” She says.
     “Why?” I ask.
     “Because I put all the different lotions on my leg. So I would smell like a rainbow.” She gestures towards the shelving of lotion bottles and all their different colors.  

    So now, when I see a rainbow, I imagine in my mind that they smell like vanilla and mango, that the green smells like something bright and fresh and red smells like flowers. And I associate it with how Abu loves life. How she wanted to smell like a rainbow. 
    With her joyful and innocent words she forever changed my perception about an object.

     Words are some of my favorite things. They are powerful. They can change lives, fix hearts, and help you find true love. 
      They are mightier than the sword; although if I was in an actual sword fight I think I would rather have an actual sword rather than a pen. Unless, of course, the pen was actually a laser weapon or something that would leap me through time and space with a click of the top. Than give me a pen. 
      
      You can't really say a word is either a good word or a bad word, unless you're Bean and trying the wrong word and you get yourself in big trouble. But words can be used for good...
      and they can be used for bad. 

      Many an evil man or woman has used 'good' words to fool people into believing hateful things. That is why we must study words, listen to words, and than decide if they should stay in our hearts. Because words do end up inside you. 
      
      I worry as a parent that not enough of the words I want them to hold dear; end up in their hearts. I worry that the words I say when I'm upset, or tired, or complaining about things might end up taking that precious space.

    So for the month of December I would like to blog about words. My favorite words, my words of faith, words that mean so much to me. I can't promise how many times I will blog as Baby Blueberry has kept me extremely busy.
     I forgot how Baby Busy a person can get. Whew.
    
     And I think the simple words of 'Baby Busy' tell a huge story all by themselves. But I will try to reconnect with my readers this month and offer positive stories during this joyful season.
    
     

       

No comments:

Post a Comment