Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Fall of Summer

       Summer has gone, lost in the brisk winds that whip the colorful fall leaves around. Neighborhood squirrels are very busy burying peanuts in the soil around my blueberry bushes. The soil is nice and soft and they seem to think it's just for them. In the spring the peanuts they haven't eaten will sprout but around here they don't grow much. Right now that seems like projects in my life, they've sprouted but if the weather in the next six months is too harsh they will wither and die. So I will have to keep praying for a lot of sunshine after this winter.
       I almost ran over a poor little squirrel the other day. I was riding my mountain bike on the bike path when he started darting in front of me. I slowed down, knowing that he had plenty of time to reach the other side. (And please, no 'why did the squirrel cross the road jokes.')
       But the poor little thing freaked out and right in the middle of the path decided he didn't know which way to go, and in his indecision he started doing a frantic circle in front of my bike tire. I hit the brakes hard, only pulling out a few of his tail hairs as he finally decided to continue across the path to the other side. I suppose that's a lot like life, we do circles in the middle of our decisions, finally choosing a path only after we lose a bit of our tail hairs. Of course, it's usually the decision we were going to follow to begin with but it takes us forever to figure that part out.
       This week has been a hodge podge of different things, wonderful things like dinner with the neighbors (grin), fun things like lunch with my niece and frustrating 'it's hard to be a parent' things with Bean.
        My niece, CT was so funny though, reminding me that I love the logical of three years old. We were at the sub shop having lunch when she looked at my drink.
       "What did you get?" She studies it intently because most of time Aunt Christy buys water.
        "I got root beer. Do you want a sip?"
        She looks at me horrified. "Oh, no, Aunt Christy. I can't drink beer."
        I laughed.

        On another note I learned today that Hallmark is offering sympathy cards for the unemployed. I'm not sure how I feel about this. Unfortunately, there must be enough unemployment going around to catch the greeting card industry's attention if they're going to offer cards. On the other hand, I don't know many people that would want a card reminding them that they just lost their job, their source of income, their security and telling them good luck finding a new job in today's economy. But I suppose it at least keeps more people employed at Hallmark. Still, I'm waiting for the sympathy cards to express my concern over zombie attacks. I can see that card now. 'Sorry about the zombie attack that burned down your house and ate your dog. But aren't you glad I got you a card?' 

        To finish up today's blog, I'm including pictures of Autumn. Hope you enjoy.

                  Flowers are absolutely beautiful but sometimes I think their dried shapes, especially in the right light can be nice too.
                                                     

                      I have to say, I do love the colors of Autumn. :) 



                                          I love the colors!


                                                  I actually beat the squirrels!!


                                                   It's almost time for Halloween.


          Do you know how many pumpkin pies are right there?


       

No comments:

Post a Comment